deer tallow Hunter Soap in development


I recently acquired deer fat and used our wood stove to render it down to about a gallon of deer tallow. I did some google research and found that deer tallow makes a hard bar and very creamy & gentle soap - and also helps to mask human scent! And there a hunter soap is born...

The plan is to create two hunter soaps with a large percentage of deer tallow - when I have a more reliable source I'll use 100% deer tallow - and a deodorizer. With one soap I'll add baking soda and with the other I'll add coffee. One of our hunting neighbors, whom is also a professional coffee roaster, offered to test out the bars next hunting season and I am curious to find which one he likes best! I bet it's the one with coffee :)

2 comments:

  1. Hello! My name is Natasha, I just found your post. Did you ever get to make your soap?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I did! it feels wonderful, but it is a bit crumbly - probably from all the soda I tried to stuff in! We have not tested the soap yet as it is not hunting season, but will come fall. I expect that by extended drying the soap will be much harder by the time we get to use it, tho it is already fine to use now :)

    ReplyDelete